The bib draw as part of the opening ceremony took place on Tuesday in the Nissan village at the base of the mountain. Mitch Toelderer (AUT) and Richard Permin (FRA) will trace the first lines in snowboard and ski with bib numbers 1 and 2. The Pro Freeriders Board 2009 made the decision for the second day of the competition to reverse the starting list to even out their chances. The final ranking for the event will be defined by the addition of the scores for the two days unless a second competition day is not possible in which case, the first day will determine the final ranking.
Everyone is in the starting blocks for the first stop in Krasnaya Polyana with two great venues chosen by the mountain guides present:
The Salymovski face, chosen for the first day of competition and situated at the top of the ski lifts, is perfect for public viewing; andthe arrival area is easily accesible thus they will be able to see the riders up close. With 300 vertical meters and between 30–45% slope incline with a few trees freshly covered with a thick layer of snow, this face should allow the riders to go fast with many possible lines. The venue announced for the second day, though not yet confirmed, is the Rosa Huta (the Alpine Olymic venue for 2014) that has 400 vertical meters and 35–45% slope incline.
Veronika Sorokina, Russian Nissan Sports Adventure Wild Card skier: «For me, this event in my home country is wonderful because there are riders here that you only see in the magazines and on TV. To have them here is great… Today, I saw lots of smiling faces on the slopes and it was a real pleasure.»
Elyse Saugstad (USA), winner of the Freeride World Tour 2008 in ski: «This mountain has incredible runs; we are really anxious to ride it. The energy here is great… we are all ready to go for it: it’s our first competition of the season and the atmosphere is full of energy! I hope we get to go to the second venue with heli access, but I know that whatever happens, we will have a great time. The conditions are perfect for the best to win!»
Nicolas Hale Woods, founder and organizer of the Freeride World Tour: «Snow is blessing the Sochi region for the Nissan Russian Adventure 09, 1st stop of the Freeride World Tour. It has been snowing close to 1.5m during the last 72 hours, to a point where our mountain guides are eager to see the end of the snowfalls. Riders are warming up dropping endless pillow lines, with never ending face (snow) shots. Nobody can wait to see these mountains with bluebird days, which should be the case as of tomorrow. Some serious avalanche checks are necessary to confirm day 1, hopefully on Thursday.»
The Freeride World Tour 2009
Since 2008, the Freeride World Tour has made sports history bringing together international freeriders. For the first time, skiers and snowboarders, men and women, travel the world seeking the Freeride World Champion title.
The stages of the Freeride World Tour 2009 (FWT)
- 20–25 January: Nissan Russian Adventure — Sochi, Russia
- 27 February-5 March: Nissan Tram Face — Squaw Valley USA — New event
- 8–14 March: Nissan Freeride de Tignes, France
- 20–29 March: Nissan Xtreme — Verbier 09, Switzerland
- The Freeride World Qualifier 2009 events (FWQ)
- 30 January-2 February: the North Face Masters of Snowboarding — Snowbird (USA) — Sister event* of the Nissan Tram Face Squaw Valley USA
- 5–15 February: Scott Big Mountain Fieberbrunn (AUT), sister event of the Nissan Freeride de Tignes (FRA)
- 13–16 February: the North Face Masters of Snowboarding — Crested Butte (USA), sister event of the Nissan Tram Face — Squaw Valley USA
- 15–19 February: Freeride de Chamonix (FRA)
- 19–22 February: Winter Mysticxperience (ITA) Monte Rosa
- 20–22 February: The Monster Golden Ticket in Squaw Valley USA, sister event of the Nissan Tram Face — Squaw Valley USA
- 6–8 March: the North Face Masters of Snowboarding — Kirkwood (USA)
- 4–7 March: Salomon Extreme Freeride Championships — Taos, New Mexico (USA)
- 13–18 March: Nendaz Freeride (SUI), sister event of the Nissan Xtreme — Verbier 09 (SUI)
- 31 March-5 April: Jasna Adrenaline (SK)
- 22–26 April: Röldal Freeride Challenge (NOR), sister event of the Nissan Russian Adventure — Sochi 2010
*A sister event is a FWQ which will qualify the winners of each category to participate in the FWT event to which it is linked.
2009 Freeride World Tour Media Content & TV Distribution
New Press Kit:
A Press Kit that explains the Freeride World Tour, the unique Ski & Snowboard World Tour: new rules, new judging system and World Ranking as well as the freeride evolution driven by the athletes thanks to the Pro Freeriders Board.
New Media Library:
The new Freeride World Tour Media Library is now online to give you quick access to Free of rights photos & videos. You simply need to create your own pass word, search for the media you need and download them in just a few seconds!
Accreditations for the Freeride World Tour Events:
Please send us your accreditation requests and we will provide you support and info to organize your trip to join the FWT 09.
TV Distribution: Free of right videos
- News format (3mn) & Rough cuts & Interviews (unilaterals): competition day + 1
- Highlights (24–26min): competition day + 7
- 26min Report on Freeride World Tour 2008: available now. Please send your request to Quattro Media: Florian Schnellinger — email@example.com
- Behind the scene clips & interviews: available throughout the season
- Available now: Henrik Windtstedt (SWE), Aurélien Ducroz (FRA), Cody Townsend (USA), Cyril Neri (SUI), Berti Denervaud (SUI, Head Judge snowboard), Freeride World Tour 2009 teaser. Please send your request to Marianne Brechu: firstname.lastname@example.org
International Press Officer:
+33 611 99 24 76
& Karen Allais / Links Communication
+33 450 91 41 08
Quattro Media — Florian Schnellinger
+49 (0) 8093 — 572 58 (direct line)
+49 (0) 170 — 7672 422 (mobile)